Updated: Jan 7
Let me start by prefacing this...January 1st is an arbitrary marker to start change, but it can be helpful for some to feel like they have "fresh start." I say, pick any day you choose, any time you want, and get moving. Start effecting change in your life. There is no need to wait - but, if it makes you feel better by committing to January 1st, so be it.
Let's get started.
Congratulations on committing to preparations for 2020 and taking charge of your future!
Some believe that planning ahead and thinking too much about the future (some of which is out of your control), causes too much stress. I, however, believe the opposite - by preparing for upcoming events, you remove a large chunk of the unknown, overcoming fears, and are all the more prepared to handle life hands you.
Today we find ourselves on the cusp of both a fresh new year and a new decade, full of endless potential and excitement. Although it really is an arbitrary marker, our mental clocks are reset and restarted, giving us the incentive to strive for change and improvement where desired.
For me, 2019 was a year of successful and dramatic personal and professional change, a great majority of which was outlined, designed, and planned in the last part of 2018. My purpose in this campaign is to share with you the steps I took, and continue to take, to experience continued growth in 2020.
READY? Here we go…
1. Make a list of everything you accomplished or did this year. What were your key successes and achievements from the year? What are you most proud of yourself for?
2. List everything you have learned. In what ways have you grown or changed as a person over the past 12 months?
3. What didn’t you achieve this year? What got in your way of reaching 2019 goals?
4. What challenged you the most and what were your key learnings from these experiences?
5. What do you want to let go of the most? Is it an old habit, a pattern of behavior, a job or perhaps a person?
Are there any painful memories, resentments or hurts that need to be released?
What belief systems, self-perceptions or ways of thinking do you want to shed?
6. List 5 things for which you are grateful.
7. Start to create a list of goals - health (mental or physical), work, growth.
HINT: Use positive words (start, create, move, etc) instead of negative (stop, remove, etc)
8. Create a New Year jar
9. Organize - closet, junk drawer, DVR, paper piles, clean out your refrigerator
10. Cancel unread subscriptions - hard copies and email
11. Edit your social media
12. Update your resume
13. Write or update your will
14. Review insurance needs
15. Review your budget
16. Review future calendar
17. Schedule follow-ups you may have forgotten about
18. Organize your bedroom, your haven
19. Set 2020 goals. Create a vision board and post it someplace visible.
20. CELEBRATE AND RELAX.
If you desire more details on this list, you can get them through the educational site on my website. This course is FREE, and if you sign up you'll get updates, the e-journal that I am developing to accompany it, AND a HUGE discount on the hard copy I will also be selling, with even more inspiration and ideas. Again, to sign up and get additional details is free...just go to the Education and Training Section in my website Store.
I also discuss these items in my podcast.
I wish you every success in your venture, thank you for following me on my journey, and get ready for more exciting things!